Thursday, April 17

  Exact Any Word

Advance search

 
Home
About Omanet.om
Tribute to His Majesty
Awards
Religious affairs
Useful information
Omanisation Policy
History
Geography
Site map
Gallery
Oman Flag
National Anthem
Tender
Press and publications
Check mail
Guestbook
Free Newsletter





Local News

Heritage exhibition, Global Village opened in Salalah

SALALAH — Shaikh Mohammed bin Ali al Qatabi, Minister of State and Governor of Dhofar, yesterday opened an exhibition organised by the Ministry of Heritage and Culture as part of the Khareef festival celebrations. Al Qatabi toured the exhibition and saw the contents of manuscripts, rare documents, historical and religious books and archaeological items. The exhibition contains 60 rare documents in addition to a letter written by Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) to the people of Oman.

The Director-General of Heritage and Culture in Dhofar said that the exhibition was aimed at reflecting the rich heritage of the Sultanate and the Omani civilisation. Al Qatabi visited the Heritage Village and the wing of the Omani crafts industry. Meanwhile, Shaikh Abdullah bin Saif al Mahrouqi, Deputy Governor of Dhofar, presided over the opening of the Global Village in Sumharam Tourist Village. The programmes at the Global Village include handicrafts exhibition, theatre plays, children's entertainment and commercial exhibition.

The opening ceremony was attended by Ahmed bin Ali al Maamari, President of Dhofar Municipality, members of Majlis Addawla, Majlis Ash’shura, walis and advisers. Shaikh Ahmed bin Abdullah al Rawas, Director General of the Office of the Minister of the Diwan of the Royal Court, presided over the opening of a fine arts exhibition featuring the works of Saudi artist Mirza Hussain al Salhi.
 

Youth camp opened

SALALAH — As many as 145 youngsters from various parts of the Sultanate have joined a national youth workcamp inaugurated at the youth complex here yesterday under the auspices of Shaikh Mohammed bin Hamoud al Maamari, Wali of Mirbat. Moosa bin Ahmed al Mashali, Deputy Director of Goysca Department in Dhofar Governorate, and in-charge of the workcamp, said in an address that organising youth workcamps throughout the Sultanate was an outcome of directives of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos to provide more attention to youth welfare. Activities at the workcamp will include rendering public service, sports and arts competitions, cultural and social activities and visits to tourist sites and wilayats.

Two sentenced to death, one gets life term

MUSCAT — The Court of Appeal yesterday sentenced a Bangladeshi man and an American woman to death in two separate cases while a German woman was sentenced to life imprisonment in another case. The Bangladeshi national was handed over death sentence on charges of rape and murder of an Omani woman while the American woman was sentenced to death for murdering her husband. The German woman charged with the murder of her father was sentenced to life imprisonment.

The court pronounced death sentence on Zuhair al Islam Abdul Haq, Bangladeshi national, for rape and murder of Omani citizen Halima bint Suliman bint Mohammed al Ma'amari. The court convicted American national Rebecca Thompson of premeditated murder of her husband Mark Lee Thomson, an American citizen, and sentenced her to death. The court also found three other defendants guilty of the crime and sentenced Qaysar bin Hilal bin Rashid al Hasni and Adam bin Sulaiman bin Jabir al Jabri to 10 years in prison, while Derrik William Green, son of the deceased, received a three-year suspended jail term and deportation.

The court convicted German citizen Dana Gerlich of premeditated murder of her father, Gert Manfred Gerlich, and sentenced her to life imprisonment and deportation after serving the jail term. The German victim was shot dead and his body found in a residential district in Muscat Governorate on December 2 last year. Four other accomplices in the case were also sentenced to life in prison. They are Ali bin Issa bin Mansoor al Nobi, Mamoon bin Hafidh bin Salim al Ghassani, Mahmoud bin Salim bin Khalfan al Gardani and Fawzi bin Mohammed bin Salim al Ghammari.

Three killed in road accident.

NIZWA — Three people were killed and five others injured in a road accident involving three vehicles in the Wilayat of Nizwa yesterday. The Royal Oman Police said that two vehicles were proceeding from Nizwa to Bahla while the other vehicle was going in the opposite direction when the accident occurred due to over-speeding. Two vehicles were totally damaged in the accident. The injured persons were rushed to hospital by the police. The ROP has urged vehicle owners to take utmost care while driving and comply with speed limits.

 


This site is designed and maintained by Oman Electronic Network.
Copyright © 2002 Ministry of Information. All Rights Reserved.
Copyright of all photographs belongs to the Ministry of Information from whom permission must
be sought for use in any other format, i.e. whether this be in a printed or electronic form, or in a retrieval system